Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ENvasa Media and Publications: In Search of My Black Aesthetic

I do have a rather small concern when it comes to Black Aesthetics, I am of African descent and all people around are predominantly of African descent and yet the literature that has been presented to me through life have not been those that have celebrated Black Aesthetics. I am convinced that most of the people that I am close to (my friends and family) are indeed beautiful. I know that I am beautiful I am one of the most beautiful people on Earth. And yet... How do I describe my beauty? How do I explain fully what I see in the mirror and see in others? I think the answer lies in the way I will bring forth my characters. Before I seek to bring them forth from my mind I must look deeply at myself AND I must describe bit by bit the beauty I see in me. I have only read a small section of books by Black people, this is not my fault but in going forward I must make it a part of my life to read about myself and the people that I look like and those that look like me. I find that in my own life I think of people, particularly shades of brown in turns of food or candy or some sweetness, there is dark chocolate, milk chocolate, caramel, honey and yet that seems inadequate maybe should use word yes I should use another phrase those words are good they are what comes naturally they also can be and will be worked on. Black Aesthetics exist in degrees and variations there is a mixture and smooth combination that always creates a unique beauty and once I master the ability to relate the beauty that I see and feel with words I shall be truly grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for deciding to share yourself with the world through your writing. I am intrigued by the ideas presented so far, but this intrigue has much fatter twin named, 'questions'.

    I am not sure if I understand whether or not you will be relying on how you'll express the aesthetics of your (fictional) characters to help you understand what you currently perceive this black aesthetic to be? If do is this somehow a version of the cart going before the horse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I want/need to do is this, I love and appreciate the physical beauty I see in African/ people of African descent. I love the beauty that I see in our visual representations of ourselves, the thing is how do I as someone who does creative/descriptive writing show my appreciation for the beauty through words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Ms. Dacosta. Food for thought indeed

    ReplyDelete